A thank you from your winner Nicola

nicolalazenby-wHello Hello Hello!!!!

I’d like to say a MASSIVE thank you to all you guys who voted for me through the competition! I was totally shocked to have not been the first engineer evicted so you can imagine how excited I was to actually be in the final AND WIN! WOoooo!!

My plans for the money are to use the majority of the money to create an interactive workshop which can be ran in the university, in schools and even science and engineering fairs. The aim of the workshop would be to highlight the need for renewable energy, and the role which taking energy from the ground can play in reducing the amount of CO2 released into the atmosphere, along with saving us money on our heating bills!

The remaining money will be donated to the Sheffield based branch of Engineers without Borders. These guys will use the money to develop workshops to teach young people about the impact engineering can have on getting people out of poverty!! [They do some pretty amazing workshops – see if you have a branch at your local university and get them to come and run a workshop for you!]

Throughout the competition, I found out just how little students knew about Geotechnical Engineering, this has really inspired me to get out there and give people an insight into a career which isn’t well communicated at present!

Finally, Thanks once again to everyone who voted for me, even if I’ve only inspired 1 of you to just consider engineering in the future, I’m happy!

Nicola

Ps. remember #YOLO so study engineering  😉

Posted on March 28, 2013 by in News. Leave a comment